The Red and Blue Coat Comic

The Red and Blue Coat Comic  

The wisdom tale I chose was The Red and Blue Coat. Wisdom tales are traditional stories that send out a positive message to the readers. A moral from one of the stories is know that your words will never disappear. This is an example of a positive and useful message you can use to help you in the future. I chose The Red and Blue Coat for my comic because one of my favorite morals was from this story. The moral is don’t just look at something in your perspective. I thought this story was a great example of the message they are trying to send. 

This wisdom tale was about two friends who said they would be friends forever so they moved into houses across from each other. One day a trickster from the village decided to test their friendship. The trickster put on a two sided coat. On one side it was red and on the other it was blue. Both friends were outside so the trickster decided to walk through the houses. After the trickster passed each of them they hid. A little while later one of the friends came up to the other and said, “What a beautiful red coat that was!” The other friend said, “That coat was blue!” They both started to argue about the coat’s color until they said they wouldn’t be friends anymore. At that moment the trickster jumped out of their hiding place and showed the two friends the coat. They both laughed about their silly fight realizing it was a two sided coat. 

The reason we picked these wisdom tales is so we could recreate a comic of the tale. An artist came to our school and we learned many things about visual storytelling. For example, you don’t have to start with realistic characters, you can start from shapes. For instance, for a person you could start off with a triangle and work with that as you create your character. Another thing we learned is that you can make drawing look much more realistic just by moving objects or characters farther up the page and farther down the page. For example, if you wanted to draw a forest background you could make your drawing look very detailed and realistic just by moving a tree deeper into the woods on your page by drawing the tree farther up your page. 

To create our comics we used an app called Comic Life 3. I thought this app was a great app because it had many choices for your format and background colors so you could always find what you wanted. We only used this app for the background, format, story, and moral of the comic. I used the app Sketchpad to draw the pictures in each panel of the comic. 

This was one of my favorite projects we have done!

One Reply to “The Red and Blue Coat Comic”

1. I love how the houses are drawn, especially the doors!